Good Friday evening, Arlington. Today we published articles that were read a total of 12593 times… so far.
📈 Top stories
The following are the most-read articles for today — Apr 21, 2023.
- World of Beer has closed in Ballston
- DEVELOPING: A group of residents are suing the county over Missing Middle
- Arlington to buy two more homes for stormwater management
- Morning Notes
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- ‘Real Housewives’ appears to be filming again in Arlington (64734 views)
- Arlington Public Schools hits pause on overnight field trips after an ‘incident’ involving a student (35499 views)
- Woman and baby crossing the street struck by driver near Ballston (13911 views)
- A ruse to smuggle drugs into Arlington jail caught an employee of the Public Defender’s Office in its crosshairs (5506 views)
- World of Beer has closed in Ballston (4984 views)
- If someone nukes D.C., equipment in Arlington will help figure out who did it (4851 views)
- Car runs into house, another overturns in Sunday crash (4636 views)
- ACPD planning ‘high-visibility enforcement’ along several Arlington streets (4433 views)
- In Bill Schweigart’s new book, Arlington is the location for “deadly shenanigans” (4301 views)
- Good Company Doughnuts to fill a hole at Amazon’s HQ2 early this summer (4171 views)
- Office vacancy rates are in a ‘transition’ phase, analyst says (3887 views)
- ‘Fire Weather Watch’ issued for Arlington (2866 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 9:00 am: Celebrate Trails Day W&OD Trail Cleanup
- 10:00 am: Art House 7 Workshop: Painting the Dutch Tulip from Life with Teresa Oaxaca
- 👉 10:00 am: WHS Spring Festival
- 👉 10:00 am: Living Earth Festival 2023: Native Nations Confronting Climate Change
- 👉 11:00 am: Heart + Paw 2nd Anniversary Community Event
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 9:00 am: Abingdon Earth Day Celebration
- 11:00 am: Earth Day, Every Day Festival
- 4:00 pm: From 48 to Feature: Screening and Discussion with DC Filmmakers
☔ Saturday’s forecast
Showers late. Overcast. Mild. High of 73 and low of 53. Sunrise at 6:22 am and sunset at 7:52 pm. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Haiku of the Day
Ocean waves crashing
Silent whispers in the night
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
Arlington School Board Chair Christina Diaz-Torres will not be seeking re-election. Diaz-Torres, who became chair this July, announced the decision last night (Wednesday) at the Arlington County Democratic Committee meeting,…
After a several-month delay, 2910 Kitchen & Bar is gearing up to open next month on Columbia Pike pending final permit approvals, according to the restaurant owner.
More than 2,000 people have donated to the family who lost everything in the N. Burlington Street explosion, tripling initial fundraising goals.
More on House Explosion Suspect — “The Virginia man presumed to have been killed when his house exploded while cops tried to serve a search warrant had posted rambling conspiracy…
About Latinas Leading Tomorrow (LLT): Latinas Leading Tomorrow is a dynamic 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young Latina women through education, mentorship, and leadership development. We are committed to fostering a community of future leaders who will make a significant impact to the community.
Job Description: We are seeking a passionate and dedicated Part-time Executive Director to lead our organization into its next phase of growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who can oversee day-to-day operations, drive fundraising efforts, and cultivate relationships with stakeholders. This is a 1099 position; Remote position with ability to attend DMV events; 8-10 hours a week; $35-40/per hour.
Oversee program operations, including educational and community initiatives.
Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, maintaining trust and accountability.
Develop and execute a strategic vision aligned with our mission and values.
Lead fundraising efforts in partnership with the Board Members.
Cultivate relationships with community partners, schools, educators, and donors.
Demonstrate strong leadership skills, fostering a positive organizational culture.
Communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders and make compelling public presentations.
Promote inclusivity and collaboration throughout the organization.
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to