Good Friday evening, Arlington. Today we published articles that were read a total of 5235 times… so far.
📈 Top stories
The following are the most-read articles for today — Jun 16, 2023.
- Morning Notes
- NEW: Severe Thunderstorm Watch issued for Arlington
- Candidates rack up endorsements as County Board race enters home stretch
- Chronic staffing shortages top of mind for Arlington County Sheriff candidates — with a side of pickleball
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- WaPo: Arlington restaurant has one of the best burgers in the area (14320 views)
- A half-dozen affordable garden apartment buildings near Rosslyn are set to be renovated (5748 views)
- Arlington Career Center project approved despite some resident concerns (5666 views)
- Shop selling snacks “from all seven continents” opens at Pentagon City mall (3945 views)
- Power outage and road closure after tree falls on utility lines (3572 views)
- Amazon unveils first buildings in HQ2 with pomp and circumstance (3501 views)
- Smokecraft in Clarendon feeling heat from county threat to revoke live entertainment permit (2585 views)
- Morning Poll: Which of these noise complaints has the most merit? (2412 views)
- A new Starbucks has opened in Ballston (2047 views)
- New townhomes coming soon to Arlington (1890 views)
- Pedestrian crash near Ballston prompts a stop sign and temporary police presence (1859 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 10:15 am: Pride and Polls Family Bike Ride
- 12:00 pm: Craniosacral Therapy for Self-care
- 👉 12:00 pm: Loopalooza at The Crossing Clarendon
- 1:00 pm: Columbia Pike Blues Festival
- 👉 3:00 pm: Nighthawk Brewery & Pizza to Host Brewers Got Your Back on Saturday, June 17
- 11:00 pm: Family Pride: Picnic in the Park
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 👉 7:30 am: Special Olympics Area 26 First Annual Pancake Breakfast
- 1:00 pm: WalkArlington Presents: Juneteenth Black Heritage Walk
- 1:00 pm: Family Constellation Workshop with Randy Goldberg
☀️ Saturday’s forecast
Mostly sunny, with a high near 82. Northwest wind around 14 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. At night: Mostly clear, with a low around 60. Northwest wind 6 to 10 mph. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Quote of the Day
“If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door.”
– Milton Berle
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
There’s no official word on its website, but it looks like Bar Ivy in Clarendon may have closed permanently.
There’s persistence, and then there is Audrey Clement and her decade-plus effort to get elected to local office in Arlington. Clement talked with ARLnow editor Scott Brodbeck to talk about…
Makers Union, an upscale gastropub, is set to open its doors in Pentagon City next week, says Alex Brown, the restaurant’s director of operations. This opening marks the third Makers Union location in the D.C. Metropolitan area, following the debut of its Reston location three years ago and a recent opening at the Wharf in early October.
Two Arlington County Sheriff’s Office deputies prevented a near-fatal opioid overdose in the lobby of the county courthouse yesterday morning. The individual, a member of the public and not an…
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
The Optimist Club of Arlington is holding its 77th annual Christmas tree sale!
This year, the tree sale will be held at the Knights of Columbus (5115 Little Falls Road). The lot opens for sales on November 24th. The Optimist Club is selling small and large trees ranging from tabletop size to 10 foot tall trees! Wreaths, garland, tree stands, and White House Christmas ornaments will also be for sale.
100% of all proceeds go towards helping Arlington County youth.
For more information, please visit the Arlington Optimists website at https://optimistclubofarlingtonva.org/.
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to
2023 Christmas Tree Sales Begin
Saturday, December 2
Get your holiday decorating off to the right start this year! We will be selling 150 Fraser firs, freshly cut and delivered from Sparta, North Carolina.