Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.
🕗 News recap
The following articles were published earlier today — Aug 11, 2023.
- 9:30 am: Construction could begin next year on affordable housing redevelopment in Crystal City | 🗣️ Comments
- 10:30 am: Condo association: consider edibles rather than smoking weed | 🗣️ Comments
- 11:45 am: Meet the Arlington Tech robotics team that funds itself through yard work | 🗣️ Comments
- 1:30 pm: From olive oil to ‘House of Gucci,’ this mother-daughter duo is giving Arlington an Italian flair | 🗣️ Comments
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- NEW: Flood Watch issued for Sunday night, ‘serious’ weather threat on Monday (34036 views)
- Arlington is the third-best place in the U.S. to raise a family, says new report (23979 views)
- A popular noodle restaurant is moving to Pentagon City from Old Town Alexandria (17442 views)
- There’s a surprising twist to that viral Wendy’s police dispatch tweet (17113 views)
- JUST IN: Tornado Watch issued for Arlington amid significant severe weather threat (16288 views)
- Ballston’s new live music and comedy venue The Filling Station opens this weekend (12845 views)
- DEVELOPING: Severe Thunderstorm Warning issued as line of strong storms arrives (9053 views)
- Ask Eli: Will new homes prices in Arlington drop due to Toll Brothers project? (6288 views)
- Coco B’s, Peruvian Brothers, and Astro Beer Hall all hope to open in the next few weeks (5743 views)
- Arlington GOP sees record fundraising amid pivot to local election strategy (4629 views)
- Arlington County police investigating another carjacking (3974 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 10:00 am: Ceramics Hand-building Creative Mugs Workshop at Art House 7
- 10:00 am: New Member Recruiting Event
- 1:00 pm: Artist Talk with Columbia Pike Documentary Project
- 3:00 pm: Full Moon Drum Circle
- 3:00 pm: MAP (Make Anything Possible) Coaching Group Workshop
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 10:00 am: No Experience Required Artist Spotlight: Lex Marie– Repurposed Sculpture
- 2:00 pm: Board Game Afternoon
- 7:00 pm: Sunset Yoga at Potomac Yard
☀️ Saturday’s forecast
The weather forecast for Saturday consists of mostly sunny conditions and a high near 92°F, with calm wind increasing to 5-8 mph from the southwest in the morning. Saturday night may experience a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 2 a.m., with a low of about 74°F. Winds will continue from the southwest at 6 mph, and there is a 20% chance of precipitation. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Quote of the Day
“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
Enjoy some tasty bites while networking at BizArt at WHINO on December 11!
The Arlington Chorale is gearing up to bring a long-lost musical piece to life at its holiday concert next Saturday in Westover. The community choir plans to perform familiar Christmas…
Plans to redevelop the Goodwill near Route 50 — with affordable housing, childcare and a new store and donation center — have received a relatively warm reception, per a recent…
This month’s Mike Mount creation is more of a graphic than a cartoon. People in Arlington, like people in many communities, enjoy complaining about certain things. Now imagine a house in…
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
The Optimist Club of Arlington is holding its 77th annual Christmas tree sale!
This year, the tree sale will be held at the Knights of Columbus (5115 Little Falls Road). The lot opens for sales on November 24th. The Optimist Club is selling small and large trees ranging from tabletop size to 10 foot tall trees! Wreaths, garland, tree stands, and White House Christmas ornaments will also be for sale.
100% of all proceeds go towards helping Arlington County youth.
For more information, please visit the Arlington Optimists website at https://optimistclubofarlingtonva.org/.
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to
2023 Christmas Tree Sales Begin
Saturday, December 2
Get your holiday decorating off to the right start this year! We will be selling 150 Fraser firs, freshly cut and delivered from Sparta, North Carolina.