Arlington County has released its year-in-review video for 2016.
The annual video includes highlights of county-related goings on for the past year.
Actual important events and issues aside, here are some of the little things we learned from the video:
- There’s no hazing ritual for new County Board members.
- John Vihstadt is not offended by fellow Board members saying he is “lawyerly.”
- Rosslyn-based ABC 7 appears to have been the county’s TV station of choice during the 2016 blizzard.
- The blizzard happened on County Manager Mark Schwartz’s second week on the job and it was “a baptism by snow.”
- Libby Garvey admits that the new live streams of commission meetings can double as a sleep aid.
- The county has some sweet aerial footage of Arlington.
- Being a county ombudsman involves lots of hand shaking.
- “Planning is our bread and butter” — Jay Fisette.
- The new Ballston Quarter mall is going to be pretty cool and is going to “transform” Ballston.
- You can rent thermal cameras at the library.
Also from the video, we were told that the Fire Station 8 decision was “the essence of public engagement;” that 600 units committed affordable housing were approved, preserved or extended in 2016; that Arlington “functionally ended veteran homelessness” in the county and that a major theme of 2017 will be the county’s commitment to being “welcoming and inclusive.”
Explore the hidden gem that is Arlington Heights with Susan Minnick in this week’s Neighborhood Spotlight.
After sunny, near-perfect weather during the work week, a cloudier and cooler weekend awaits. The local news cycle in Arlington has remained busy, shifting from stories around this month’s County…
The cement spheres of “Dark Star Park” in Rosslyn, the electric blue ribbon of “Dressed Up and Pinned” in Courthouse and the twin striped monoliths of “Echo” in the park…
(Updated 2:15 p.m.) Hundreds of students walked out of their classrooms this morning to take a stand against sexual assault and harassment in Arlington Public Schools. Walkouts were held from…