It’s the eve of the 20th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks, and two things are striking: how vivid memories of the horror of that day remain for many, and just how much time has passed between then and now.
Arlington County held a 9/11 remembrance ceremony this morning in Courthouse, which can be viewed below.
We’re also re-posting a 2018 podcast interview we conducted with Justin Tirelli of the Arlington County Fire Department, about his memories of responding to the Pentagon on that fateful day.
As for this Labor Day-shortened week’s other news, which included a number of exclusive scoops, the most-read stories on ARLnow since Sunday are listed below.
- Carpool to Return to Arlington This Fall
- Staff Shortages Cause ‘Frustrating and Unacceptable’ Start to New APS Virtual Learning Program
- Arlington Election Official Facing Corruption Charge
- Columbia Pike Bar Seeks to Move on from TikTok Controversy
- APS Chief Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer On Leave to Start School Year
- Columbia Pike Metro Expansion Nixed For Now
- Construction to Start on Office Building, Public Plaza in Virginia Square
- County Solicits Public Input on Plans for Vacant Wendy’s Lot
- Arlington County Launches Food Scrap Collection Service
- New Dunkin’ Near Clarendon Nears Opening
- Covid Cases Reach New Seasonal High in Arlington
- County Launches Annual Free Tree Giveaway
Feel free to discuss those stories, 9/11 remembrances, or anything else of local interest in the comments. And if you want to support our work and help us break more stories, consider joining our ARLnow Press Club.
Today’s Listing of the Day is a 4 BD/4 BA home with an open kitchen and wood burning fireplace.
The weekend has arrived and, apparently, so have mid-summer temperatures. Perhaps a little too early. Forecasters warn residents not to let the heat take them by surprise as temperatures could reach…
The $15 million newly renovated Jennie Dean Park is reopening to the public this weekend, complete with a motorcycle parade, live music, and a celebration of local baseball history. The…
Join Poppyseed Rye for weekend breakfast starting May 21 with an expanded menu including quiche, breakfast paninis and more.