Good Friday evening, Arlington. Today we published articles that were read a total of 4013 times… so far.
📈 Top stories
The following are the most-read articles for today — Jun 23, 2023.
- An update in the ‘wide open’ Arlington County Board race could come this afternoon
- Morning Notes
- Morning Poll: Are you more or less optimistic about Arlington than one year ago?
- Local kabob shop donates meals to children fighting rare diseases
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- Young black bear spotted in Arlington (20232 views)
- JUST IN: Woman stabbed to death in Virginia Square apartment building (17537 views)
- JUST IN: Bear spotted in another N. Arlington neighborhood (15348 views)
- NOW: Police searching for pursuit suspect near Air Force Memorial (7962 views)
- DEVELOPING: Dehghani-Tafti ahead in early vote tally as results roll in (4915 views)
- Shove seriously injures innocent bystander near East Falls Church Metro (3964 views)
- New Japanese restaurant opening in Ballston, next to Uncle Julio’s (3773 views)
- An update in the ‘wide open’ Arlington County Board race could come this afternoon (2679 views)
- Light turnout so far for Democratic primary in Arlington (2630 views)
- Celtic House planning to expand with lower level whisky bar (1947 views)
- Local civic association says parks department ignoring their pickleball court objections (1747 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 9:00 am: It’s a Steal Art Show
- 10:00 am: Playdate at AUCP Playground
- 12:00 pm: First-time Moms Meet & Greet
- 12:30 pm: Healing through your Akashic Records
- 1:00 pm: Hawaiian Cultural Festival
- 1:30 pm: Women in College Self-Defense Seminar
- 7:00 pm: Linocut Printmaking: Block Carving and Printing Art Night at Art House 7
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 12:00 pm: It’s a Steal Art Show
- 1:00 pm: Art Exhibition – Black Experience: Community in Transition
- 👉 4:00 pm: “Zoya” Book Launch
⛈️ Saturday’s forecast
A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 84. Southwest wind 3 to 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms. At night: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 68. Southwest wind 3 to 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Quote of the Day
“Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.”
– William James
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
There’s no official word on its website, but it looks like Bar Ivy in Clarendon may have closed permanently.
There’s persistence, and then there is Audrey Clement and her decade-plus effort to get elected to local office in Arlington. Clement talked with ARLnow editor Scott Brodbeck to talk about…
Makers Union, an upscale gastropub, is set to open its doors in Pentagon City next week, says Alex Brown, the restaurant’s director of operations. This opening marks the third Makers Union location in the D.C. Metropolitan area, following the debut of its Reston location three years ago and a recent opening at the Wharf in early October.
Two Arlington County Sheriff’s Office deputies prevented a near-fatal opioid overdose in the lobby of the county courthouse yesterday morning. The individual, a member of the public and not an…
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
The Optimist Club of Arlington is holding its 77th annual Christmas tree sale!
This year, the tree sale will be held at the Knights of Columbus (5115 Little Falls Road). The lot opens for sales on November 24th. The Optimist Club is selling small and large trees ranging from tabletop size to 10 foot tall trees! Wreaths, garland, tree stands, and White House Christmas ornaments will also be for sale.
100% of all proceeds go towards helping Arlington County youth.
For more information, please visit the Arlington Optimists website at https://optimistclubofarlingtonva.org/.
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to
2023 Christmas Tree Sales Begin
Saturday, December 2
Get your holiday decorating off to the right start this year! We will be selling 150 Fraser firs, freshly cut and delivered from Sparta, North Carolina.