Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.
🕗 News recap
The following articles were published earlier today — Oct 13, 2023.
- 9:30 am: There was an Arlington Powerball winner — of $50,000 | 🗣️ Comments
- 10:30 am: Inner Ear Studios demolition falls behind schedule due to surprise structural issues | 🗣️ Comments
- 11:30 am: Ball-Sellers House museum to get three bronze plaques memorializing people enslaved there | 🗣️ Comments
- 1:45 pm: Arlington teachers decry impending healthcare changes as a ‘catastrophe’ | 🗣️ Comments
- 5:05 pm: NEW: Motorcycle crash near Ballston sends one to hospital | 🗣️ Comments
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- NOW: Police searching for suspect after slashing in Rosslyn (11660 views)
- New apartments, church and daycare to open next year in Ballston (7997 views)
- Video: Woman, 22, leads police on wild chase around Pentagon grounds (5679 views)
- Arlington police offering $20k for identity of person sending harassing emails to female ACFD personnel (5659 views)
- Padaek now open at Arlington Ridge Shopping Center (5354 views)
- Amazon delivery driver arrested for alleged assault in Penrose (5129 views)
- Early morning armed carjacking pushes Arlington past 2022 total (3945 views)
- Proposed senior living facility in Alcova Heights heads to County Board amid affordability, sustainability concerns (3892 views)
- Swiftie Soirée offers fans a night of Taylor Swift-themed festivities in Arlington (3547 views)
- County changes course on HOV and bus-only lane on Langston Blvd through Rosslyn (3441 views)
- Arlington startup raises nearly $1 million with help of local tech accelerator (3113 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 8:00 am: NOVA Treasure Hunt
- 8:30 am: Strength Training For Runners
- 9:00 am: Medical Training Self-Defense Workshop
- 👉 9:00 am: Arlington Metaphysical Chapel Presents METAPHEST, October 14-15, 2023
- 9:00 am: Pumpkin & Coffee Fundraiser Sale
- 9:30 am: Free Community Shredding Event
- 10:00 am: Shredding For Hunger | Free Community Drive-In Shredding Event
- 10:00 am: Yoga in the Galleries
- 10:00 am: TSS Open House
- 10:00 am: Spoke ‘n Word: W&OD Trail Takeover
- 👉 10:00 am: Shredding For Hunger Free Community Drive-In Shredding
- 12:00 pm: Community Outreach Day!
- 👉 1:00 pm: Rosslyn Fall Fest
- 3:00 pm: Jazz@Central
- 6:45 pm: 2023 NAACP Arlington Branch Freedom Fund Banquet
- 👉 7:30 pm: Tango Sinfónico
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 8:30 am: Kinhaven 5k & Fun Fest
- 9:00 am: Magshimey Herut Israel at 75 Seminar
- 10:00 am: Adult Learn to Ride Bike Class
- 3:30 pm: Stress Cleanse: Move Towards Your Inner Peace
- 3:30 pm: Stress Cleanse: Move Towards Your Inner Peace
⛈️ Saturday’s forecast
Expect showers and possible thunderstorms after 5pm today, with patchy fog between 1-2pm and a high near 63. South winds will be between 6-9 mph, and there’s an 80% chance of precipitation with rainfall amounts up to half an inch. Tonight, there will be showers and possibly a thunderstorm, with a low around 50. East winds will shift to north and may gust up to 18 mph, with a 90% chance of precipitation and similar rainfall amounts as during the day. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Quote of the Day
“Real courage is when you know you’re licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.”
– Harper Lee
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
A large explosion, heard throughout Arlington, has rocked the Bluemont neighborhood after a police standoff.
Good Monday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar. 🕗 News recap The following articles were published earlier today…
Arlington County will kick off the New Year with the next phase of engagement on its forthcoming plan to manage its deer population. A study found two years ago that…
After 64 years of serving subs and pizza in Arlington, The Broiler has expanded into Maryland, per the company’s social media accounts. The long-time eatery, a local institution that opened…
About Latinas Leading Tomorrow (LLT): Latinas Leading Tomorrow is a dynamic 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young Latina women through education, mentorship, and leadership development. We are committed to fostering a community of future leaders who will make a significant impact to the community.
Job Description: We are seeking a passionate and dedicated Part-time Executive Director to lead our organization into its next phase of growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who can oversee day-to-day operations, drive fundraising efforts, and cultivate relationships with stakeholders. This is a 1099 position; Remote position with ability to attend DMV events; 8-10 hours a week; $35-40/per hour.
Oversee program operations, including educational and community initiatives.
Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, maintaining trust and accountability.
Develop and execute a strategic vision aligned with our mission and values.
Lead fundraising efforts in partnership with the Board Members.
Cultivate relationships with community partners, schools, educators, and donors.
Demonstrate strong leadership skills, fostering a positive organizational culture.
Communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders and make compelling public presentations.
Promote inclusivity and collaboration throughout the organization.
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to