Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.
🕗 News recap
The following articles were published earlier today — Nov 10, 2023.
- 9:30 am: ‘Plan Langston Blvd’ nears finish line, though some resident concerns linger | 🗣️ Comments
- 12:30 pm: ARLnow parent Local News Now partners with Montgomery County news site The MoCoShow | 🗣️ Comments
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- Alleged pickleball masturbator nabbed after Columbia Pike peeping incident (21926 views)
- DEVELOPING: Another Democratic sweep looks likely in Arlington as election results roll in (11068 views)
- UPDATED: Arlington office building housing Israeli defense firm vandalized (10162 views)
- Cava Mezze’s 12-year run in Clarendon appears to have come to an end (9612 views)
- GMU celebrates “topping out” of major expansion on Virginia Square campus (5336 views)
- Upscale market and café Foxtrot coming to Ballston (4600 views)
- Changes to Chain Bridge intersection set for Arlington County Board vote (4006 views)
- New Latin American restaurant hoping to open in Pentagon City next week (3803 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 👉 8:30 am: Two Day Reiki Class Retreat 11-11, 11-12
- 9:00 am: Christmas Bazaar
- 9:00 am: Church Yard Sale
- 11:00 am: Encore Stage & Studio’s Production of Mystery at Shady Acres
- 11:00 am: Shape Up: Barbershop Talk
- 👉 12:00 pm: Cherrydale Holiday Art Market
- 1:00 pm: Annual Fall Show
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 10:30 am: JLNV Coffee Hour Information Session
- 11:00 am: Arlington GameFest 2023
- 3:00 pm: Encore Stage & Studio’s Production of Mystery at Shady Acres
🌥️ Saturday’s forecast
Expect mostly cloudy skies with a high of 64°F and a low of 45°F, accompanied by a 10% chance of precipitation later in the evening. Winds picking up from the west at 10-15 mph and humidity levels around 62% will contribute to the cool but comfortable conditions throughout the day. Be sure to grab a light jacket before heading out, as temperatures are expected to drop as the sun sets. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Quote of the Day
“Happiness resides not in possessions, and not in gold, the feeling of happiness dwells in the soul.”
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
There’s no official word on its website, but it looks like Bar Ivy in Clarendon has closed permanently. The “West Coast-inspired” restaurant at 3033 Wilson Blvd, noted for its expansive…
There’s persistence, and then there is Audrey Clement and her decade-plus effort to get elected to local office in Arlington. Clement talked with ARLnow editor Scott Brodbeck to talk about…
Makers Union, an upscale gastropub, is set to open its doors in Pentagon City next week, says Alex Brown, the restaurant’s director of operations. This opening marks the third Makers Union location in the D.C. Metropolitan area, following the debut of its Reston location three years ago and a recent opening at the Wharf in early October.
Two Arlington County Sheriff’s Office deputies prevented a near-fatal opioid overdose in the lobby of the county courthouse yesterday morning. The individual, a member of the public and not an…
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
The Optimist Club of Arlington is holding its 77th annual Christmas tree sale!
This year, the tree sale will be held at the Knights of Columbus (5115 Little Falls Road). The lot opens for sales on November 24th. The Optimist Club is selling small and large trees ranging from tabletop size to 10 foot tall trees! Wreaths, garland, tree stands, and White House Christmas ornaments will also be for sale.
100% of all proceeds go towards helping Arlington County youth.
For more information, please visit the Arlington Optimists website at https://optimistclubofarlingtonva.org/.
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to
2023 Christmas Tree Sales Begin
Saturday, December 2
Get your holiday decorating off to the right start this year! We will be selling 150 Fraser firs, freshly cut and delivered from Sparta, North Carolina.