Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.
🕗 News recap
The following articles were published earlier today — Sep 22, 2023.
- 9:55 am: Tropical storm to bring heavy rain and wind to Arlington this weekend | 🗣️ Comments
- 10:55 am: Glebe Road ditch eroded by major water main break set for repairs | 🗣️ Comments
- 12:00 pm: Amid shutdown fears, Rep. Don Beyer shares emotional letters from Virginians affected by 2018 shutdown | 🗣️ Comments
- 1:00 pm: ACPD: Teen arrested after fleeing traffic stop for reckless driving | 🗣️ Comments
- 3:00 pm: Local nonprofit set to expand neurodivergent job training program with federal grant | 🗣️ Comments
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- Tow truck driver cited, car owner arrested after Ballston incident (17257 views)
- Missing teen found by tow driver who previously talked man down from ledge (13873 views)
- NEW: Prestigious national honor for local middle school (6695 views)
- A national software company acquired this homegrown Arlington business (6426 views)
- Heads up: There’s a flaming pile of trash in the middle of Wilson Blvd (6035 views)
- Silver Diner redevelopment teed up for Arlington County Board review this Saturday (5874 views)
- Corvette carjacked by armed suspects near Lyon Village (5870 views)
- Arlington man arrested in connection to Lyon Village hit and run (5816 views)
- Arlington man seriously hurt in fatal Beltway crash (5593 views)
- Clarendon Ballroom to hold street festival this weekend (4608 views)
- County poised to require drivers to come to a full stop for pedestrians in crosswalks (4347 views)
- NEW: Judgment in Missing Middle lawsuit likely one month away (4291 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 12:00 am: Nighthawk’s Oktoberfest!
- 9:00 am: Annual Stream Cleanup and Trash Tally
- 11:00 am: Arlington Visual Art Studio Tour
- 11:00 am: Arlington Visual Art Studio Tour
- 11:00 am: Past Life Regression Workshop
- 👉 12:00 pm: First Baby? Find Your New Mom Tribe!
- 8:00 pm: Into the Woods
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 1:00 am: NAACP Arlington Branch – Award Nomination Deadline
- 11:00 am: Arlington Visual Art Studio Tour (Day 2)
- 2:00 pm: Into the Woods
- 2:00 pm: Vibe Shift
- 3:00 pm: Fall Concert in Arlington, Sept. 24, 3:00 pm
- 5:00 pm: Women’s Circle – Appreciating The Harvest
- 👉 6:00 pm: Sicilian Wine Dinner
- 11:00 pm: Arlington Visual Art Studio Tour
🎙️ This week’s podcast
⛈️ Saturday’s forecast
Expect rain and possible thunderstorms after 3pm today, with a high near 63°F and strong winds from the northeast at 22-28 mph, gusting up to 48 mph. Precipitation is guaranteed, with 0.75-1 inch of rainfall. Tonight, anticipate more rain and potential thunderstorms with a low of 61°F. The breezy conditions continue, with winds at 16-25 mph and gusts up to 39 mph. There’s a 90% chance of precipitation and an additional 0.75-1 inch of rainfall. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Quote of the Day
“It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.”
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
Good Tuesday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar. 🕗 News recap The following articles were published earlier today…
James Yoo, 56, is presumed dead as a result of the explosion of the duplex at 844 N. Burlington Street, in the Bluemont neighborhood, Arlington County police confirmed during a news conference this afternoon.
A land-use study teeing up an affordable housing redevelopment project in Aurora Highlands has generated significant interest as it nears completion.
Booeymonger in Ballston will be replaced by a new full-service Nepalese restaurant this spring, according to the incoming tenant.
About Latinas Leading Tomorrow (LLT): Latinas Leading Tomorrow is a dynamic 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young Latina women through education, mentorship, and leadership development. We are committed to fostering a community of future leaders who will make a significant impact to the community.
Job Description: We are seeking a passionate and dedicated Part-time Executive Director to lead our organization into its next phase of growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who can oversee day-to-day operations, drive fundraising efforts, and cultivate relationships with stakeholders. This is a 1099 position; Remote position with ability to attend DMV events; 8-10 hours a week; $35-40/per hour.
Oversee program operations, including educational and community initiatives.
Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, maintaining trust and accountability.
Develop and execute a strategic vision aligned with our mission and values.
Lead fundraising efforts in partnership with the Board Members.
Cultivate relationships with community partners, schools, educators, and donors.
Demonstrate strong leadership skills, fostering a positive organizational culture.
Communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders and make compelling public presentations.
Promote inclusivity and collaboration throughout the organization.
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to