Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.
🕗 News recap
The following articles were published earlier today — Sep 29, 2023.
- 9:30 am: Morning Poll: Big snowstorm on tap this winter? | 🗣️ Comments
- 10:30 am: Metro 29 Diner reopening after sewer line repairs | 🗣️ Comments
- 11:30 am: Once-soaring vehicle tax delinquencies in Arlington are coming down | 🗣️ Comments
- 12:45 pm: UPDATED: Metro train derails near National Airport | 🗣️ Comments
- 2:00 pm: Fmr. journalist sentenced for child sexual abuse material | 🗣️ Comments
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- Wakefield High School sees second student death this year (33077 views)
- UPDATED: Large power outage after reported substation fire (21669 views)
- Revamped, food-centric Crystal City Water Park set to open next week (20186 views)
- Clarendon Day, Celtic Festival and Oktoberfest to prompt road closures this weekend (14071 views)
- JUST IN: Large police response at Yorktown HS after threatening phone call (13876 views)
- A $4 million renovation of Ballston Wetlands Park is officially complete — and beavers returned for the occasion (11939 views)
- More Arlington properties are now located within floodplains, county says (9264 views)
- New study sees surge of people living alone in Arlington (8617 views)
- Metro 29 Diner faces uncertain timeline for reopening due to faulty sewer line (6326 views)
- Here are ten local businesses listed for sale in Arlington (5976 views)
- NEW: Shooting threat outside Washington-Liberty HS leads to arrest (5910 views)
- UPDATED: Arrest made after shooting on Columbia Pike (5575 views)
- Clarendon’s Bar Ivy now open ‘morning, noon and night’ with new breakfast options (4446 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 8:00 am: Yorktown High School Band Day
- 👉 10:00 am: Saint Ann Fall Festival
- 10:00 am: Yoga in the Galleries
- 11:00 am: Rosslyn Reads Book Festival
- 12:00 pm: Samuel Beckett’s Celtic Festival
- 1:00 pm: National Landing Oktoberfest
- 2:00 pm: Meditation in the Galleries – Free
- 2:00 pm: Westover Day
- 3:45 pm: Try Archery Introductory Lesson
- 6:00 pm: Music on the Plaza: Clarendon Day After Party
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 8:00 am: March for Marrow – Virginia
🎙️ This week’s podcast
🌥️ Saturday’s forecast
The forecast for Saturday indicates mostly cloudy weather with a high temperature near 71°F and a north wind at around 9 mph. During Saturday night, expect patchy fog to develop after 5am and partly cloudy skies, with a low temperature around 58°F. The north wind will decrease to around 5 mph before becoming calm. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Quote of the Day
“We can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
– Ronald Reagan
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
Good Wednesday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar. 🕗 News recap The following articles were published earlier today…
After a 2-year search for new digs, Arlington Independent Media is on the cusp of moving from its long-time headquarters in Clarendon.
Former Arlington Commonwealth’s Attorney Theo Stamos is taking a top job in the Virginia Attorney General’s Office. Stamos lost her reelection bid in 2019, defeated in the Democratic primary by…
Sometime next year, three residential streets in Arlington without sidewalks could get upgrades to allow for safer pedestrian and cyclist use. To help address demonstrated safety and access issues on…
About Latinas Leading Tomorrow (LLT): Latinas Leading Tomorrow is a dynamic 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young Latina women through education, mentorship, and leadership development. We are committed to fostering a community of future leaders who will make a significant impact to the community.
Job Description: We are seeking a passionate and dedicated Part-time Executive Director to lead our organization into its next phase of growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who can oversee day-to-day operations, drive fundraising efforts, and cultivate relationships with stakeholders. This is a 1099 position; Remote position with ability to attend DMV events; 8-10 hours a week; $35-40/per hour.
Oversee program operations, including educational and community initiatives.
Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, maintaining trust and accountability.
Develop and execute a strategic vision aligned with our mission and values.
Lead fundraising efforts in partnership with the Board Members.
Cultivate relationships with community partners, schools, educators, and donors.
Demonstrate strong leadership skills, fostering a positive organizational culture.
Communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders and make compelling public presentations.
Promote inclusivity and collaboration throughout the organization.
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to