Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.
🕗 News recap
The following articles were published earlier today — Oct 20, 2023.
- 9:45 am: Arlington faith communities pray, fast and organize for peace in the Middle East | 🗣️ Comments
- 10:45 am: Lyft offering free rides to curb alcohol-related crashes on Halloween weekend | 🗣️ Comments
- 1:45 pm: Arlington to host family-friendly Halloween-themed activities next week | 🗣️ Comments
- 2:55 pm: NOW: Fire department on scene of carbon monoxide incident at condo building | 🗣️ Comments
- 3:55 pm: Arlington teen receives net 10-day sentence for assaulting five women last year | 🗣️ Comments
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- Tesla smashes into Columbia Pike playground (21502 views)
- Morning Poll: Best tacos in Arlington? (16727 views)
- Arlington seeks input on Wilson Blvd intersection changes (9997 views)
- Reston man faces charges in Arlington sex crimes investigation (6959 views)
- Japanese restaurant Ryu Izakaya opens on Columbia Pike (6953 views)
- County buys another home for flood mitigation as first purchase is teed up for demolition (6796 views)
- Two nabbed in foot chases after vehicle theft attempt from Amazon HQ2 garage (4900 views)
- APS middle and high schools to beef up security, attendance with e-hall pass system (4836 views)
- Peruvian Brothers opens new restaurant at Amazon HQ2 in Pentagon City (4679 views)
- VDOT to replace bridge over N. Glebe Road (4567 views)
- Police investigating hammer and knife attack in Lyon Village (4327 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 8:30 am: Your Way to a 5K
- 9:00 am: Protecting Others Self-Defense Workshop
- 9:00 am: Wellness Provider Summit
- 10:00 am: Yoga in the Galleries
- 10:00 am: Free Flu Shots!
- 10:00 am: Ride for a Cure
- 10:00 am: MindFALL Walk
- 11:00 am: 1000 Goddesses Gathering
- 11:00 am: Court of Fiction Book Club: “A Discovery of Witches”
- 11:30 am: Introduction to Micro Green
- 12:00 pm: Rebirth Garments
- 12:00 pm: Fall Family Celebration at Columbia Gardens Cemetery
- 1:00 pm: Artist Talk: Andrew Barco & Elliot Doughtie
- 2:00 pm: ASL Storytime with Arlington County Library
- 3:00 pm: The Arlingtones Fall Show
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 👉 12:00 am: PMSF Awareness Day 2023
- 11:00 am: Women’s Wellness Workshop
- 1:00 pm: Bakeware Swap
- 2:00 pm: Energy Preservation Workshop
- 2:30 pm: Arlington & Alexandria City Candidating Event
🌥️ Saturday’s forecast
Expect partly sunny skies with a high near 65 and breezy conditions as west winds reach 10-15 mph, increasing to 17-22 mph in the afternoon, with gusts up to 33 mph. On Saturday night, showers are likely after 5am, with a low around 49 and lighter west wind at 5-8 mph. Precipitation chances stand at 60%, with new amounts under a tenth of an inch possible. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Quote of the Day
“Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.”
– John Wooden
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
There’s no official word on its website, but it looks like Bar Ivy in Clarendon may have closed permanently.
There’s persistence, and then there is Audrey Clement and her decade-plus effort to get elected to local office in Arlington. Clement talked with ARLnow editor Scott Brodbeck to talk about…
Makers Union, an upscale gastropub, is set to open its doors in Pentagon City next week, says Alex Brown, the restaurant’s director of operations. This opening marks the third Makers Union location in the D.C. Metropolitan area, following the debut of its Reston location three years ago and a recent opening at the Wharf in early October.
Two Arlington County Sheriff’s Office deputies prevented a near-fatal opioid overdose in the lobby of the county courthouse yesterday morning. The individual, a member of the public and not an…
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
The Optimist Club of Arlington is holding its 77th annual Christmas tree sale!
This year, the tree sale will be held at the Knights of Columbus (5115 Little Falls Road). The lot opens for sales on November 24th. The Optimist Club is selling small and large trees ranging from tabletop size to 10 foot tall trees! Wreaths, garland, tree stands, and White House Christmas ornaments will also be for sale.
100% of all proceeds go towards helping Arlington County youth.
For more information, please visit the Arlington Optimists website at https://optimistclubofarlingtonva.org/.
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to
2023 Christmas Tree Sales Begin
Saturday, December 2
Get your holiday decorating off to the right start this year! We will be selling 150 Fraser firs, freshly cut and delivered from Sparta, North Carolina.