Good Friday evening, Arlington. Today we published articles that were read a total of 21693 times… so far.
📈 Top stories
The following are the most-read articles for today — Mar 24, 2023.
- NEW: Massive police presence at former Key Bridge Marriott as county condemns building
- Morning Notes
- Speed cameras and drones on the horizon for Arlington public safety
- After tea shop and ramen shop close, a vape shop is now coming to Cherrydale
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- NEW: Massive police presence at former Key Bridge Marriott as county condemns building (26302 views)
- A $100k salary in Arlington feels more like $50k, new study suggests (20464 views)
- Arlington ranks No. 2 on new list of “Best Cities to Live in America” (18181 views)
- JUST IN: Ikea to open small-format location in Pentagon City (17800 views)
- BREAKING: Arlington County Board approves ‘Missing Middle’ zoning changes (12525 views)
- JUST IN: Police investigating apparent self-inflicted shooting during traffic stop (9164 views)
- Developer files new long-term plan for redeveloping Pentagon Centre (8548 views)
- Carjacking suspect in custody after vehicular mayhem in Falls Church spills over into Arlington (5626 views)
- HAPPENING NOW: Car fire at Pentagon City mall garage (4420 views)
- The Irish prime minister took in a rugby match at a Pentagon City bar this weekend (3580 views)
- W-L student on scooter struck by driver while crossing intersection (3568 views)
- NEW: Five Guys looks to return to its original Columbia Pike location after redevelopment (3547 views)
- The Old Bike Shop is being replaced by a new bike shop (3064 views)
- ACPD: Pickup truck driver runs red light, almost strikes pedestrian, then threatens him with gun (3059 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 8:30 am: Ultimate Frisbee YULA Invite
- 10:00 am: Parent-Child Workshop: Decoupage Eggs at Art House 7
- 10:30 am: To Bee or Not to Bee (a beekeeper)
- 12:00 pm: First-time Moms Meet & Greet
- 2:00 pm: Yorktown Performing Arts: Disney’s Beauty & The Beast
- 2:00 pm: How to Prune Your Roses
- 8:00 pm: Singin’ in the Rain
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 10:00 am: Sunday Barefoot Boogie
- 3:00 pm: A Musical Conversation
- 3:00 pm: Singin’ in the Rain
- 4:00 pm: South Arlington Slow Ride and Party
☔ Saturday’s forecast
Rain in the morning and afternoon. High of 63 and low of 47. Sunrise at 7:05 am and sunset at 7:26 pm. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Thought of the Day
Embrace each failure as beautifully flawed stepping stones, outlining a path that eventually leads to surefooted success.
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
This past week saw 57 homes sold in Arlington. The least expensive condo, single-family home or townhouse sale over the past seven days was $169,000 while the most expensive was…
Arlington County has filed a response to the Missing Middle lawsuit against it. Ten residents are suing the county, arguing that the recently-passed zoning changes known as Missing Middle were approved illegally…
The westbound lanes of Columbia Pike are closed near Penrose Square due to a gas leak. It appears that a construction crew working in the roadway struck a gas line….
Arlington eighth-grader Charlotte Walsh will advance to the Scripps National Spelling Bee final after taking the semis by storm yesterday afternoon. Fifty-six spellers from across the country — ages 9…
Please join us on Saturday, June 3, from 2 to 4 pm for the Glencarlyn Home Tour in Arlington’s historic Glencarlyn neighborhood. Among the featured homes will be a sparkling new home by A&N Builders at 5604-4th St. South. The inviting front porch opens to a light-filled space featuring high ceiling, wood floors, gas fireplace, Pella windows, Shrock cabinets, Quartz countertop, and JennAir appliances. Doors from the family room open to a large covered porch with a few steps to the level, landscaped rear yard. Upstairs, there are four bedrooms, three bathrooms, laundry room, and linen storage. The big lower level has a rec room, gym space, and a fifth bedroom and bathroom plus even more storage. After leaving the home, stroll to the Ball-Sellers home, the oldest residence in Arlington, the community gardens at the library, Carlin Hall, and the 94 acre Glencarlyn Park. A lovely way to while away a late spring afternoon.
Is home ownership a goal of yours in 2023? Now is the time to make it happen! Grab a (virtual) drink with the area’s top Real Estate experts, learn all about the home buying process and on how you can get $1,500 towards your closing costs immediately!
Did you know the average Arlington renter will spend $150K in 5 years of renting? Stop paying down someone else’s mortgage! Join us for a Rent vs. Buy Happy Hour on Wednesday, June 7th at 6 p.m. via Zoom. If this time doesn’t work, we also are offering times convenient for your schedule!
A lot has happened in the local market since the beginning of the pandemic. Sip on your drink of choice and learn from Northern Virginia, Arlington and Washingtonian Magazines top producing agents! We will discuss the latest market updates, the home buying process and rent vs. buy cost savings. Please RSVP by clicking here.
Call/text Manavi at 703-869-6698 with any questions!
Homebuying 101: Steps to Getting Pre-Approved
Are you ready to jump into homeownership or started considering it but don’t know where to start? Financial preparation is key when thinking about purchasing your first home and the first step to getting pre-approved.
Join ACFCU’s mortgage loan officers
4th of July Celebration & Fireworks
Treat yourself this Independence Day with a world-class, private 4th of July extravaganza at the Military Women’s Memorial – a premier National Capital Region site.
Great food, fun, and the best views of Washington DC’s spectacular fireworks display. Relax, enjoy,