Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.
🕗 News recap
The following articles were published earlier today — Jul 14, 2023.
- 9:30 am: Silver Diner redevelopment project faces delays over ‘unresolved design challenges’ with N. Irving Street | 🗣️ Comments
- 10:30 am: Climate protest draws group of elder demonstrators to Rosslyn bank | 🗣️ Comments
- 11:30 am: County to ink $117M contract with JBG Smith for second Crystal City Metro entrance | 🗣️ Comments
- 1:45 pm: Pair of projects to improve pedestrian accessibility in parts of Arlington | 🗣️ Comments
- 3:00 pm: Arlington County to buy a home in Westover for $1.5M for flood mitigation | 🗣️ Comments
- 5:40 pm: JUST IN: Severe Thunderstorm Warning issued for portion of Arlington | 🗣️ Comments
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- A lounging Lady Liberty to lie down in Arlington for the next year (56877 views)
- Owners of razed Broyhill estate seek new owner-developer for site, touting up to 36 Missing Middle units (25535 views)
- Arlington could buy a property within what was once a secluded Black settlement for 100 years (16712 views)
- Door knocking leads to fight in Crystal City apartment building (7649 views)
- Restaurant owner is ‘very frustrated’ with the process to transform historic Green Valley Pharmacy (6309 views)
- Drivers may be required to stop for longer while pedestrians cross the road (6256 views)
- It’s finally tee time for Columbia Pike’s Par Citi (6100 views)
- Live music venue The Filling Station opening soon next to Ballston’s El Rey (5511 views)
- A new Lebanese restaurant is coming to Clarendon (5337 views)
- Astro Beer Hall and its donut robot hoping to start serving next month in Shirlington (4723 views)
- Demolition of the RCA building in Rosslyn set to wrap up this month (4692 views)
- Ballston Holiday Inn redevelopment proposal reaches Arlington County Board (3931 views)
- NEW: Arlington police announce additional arrests in anti-fentanyl push (3809 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 10:00 am: Ceramics Hand-building Creative Mugs Workshop at Art House 7
- 10:00 am: Ancient Egypt & the Afterlife
- 11:00 am: Community Day
- 12:00 pm: Calligraphy Workshop and Artist Talk with Abdulrahman Naanseh
- 👉 1:30 pm: Tai Chi Celebration
- 7:00 pm: Linocut Printmaking: Block Carving and Printing Art Night at Art House 7
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 10:00 am: MoCA on the Move at Met Park: No Experience Required
- 3:00 pm: Reiki Share with Sound Healing
- 7:00 pm: Sunset Yoga at Potomac Yard
⛈️ Saturday’s forecast
There is a likelihood of showers and thunderstorms setting in after 2pm, despite the weather being partly sunny with a high temperature near 90 degrees Fahrenheit. The calm winds are forecasted to transition into a moderate south wind, blowing at a speed of 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon, with a 40% chance of precipitation. The same weather pattern of intermittent showers and thunderstorms is expected to continue into Saturday night, accompanied by a predominantly cloudy sky. Temperatures will lower to around 76 degrees Fahrenheit, with the south winds maintaining at around 8mph. Chances for precipitation will slightly increase to 50%. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Quote of the Day
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
– Mark Twain
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
Good Tuesday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar. 🕗 News recap The following articles were published earlier today…
In a bid to improve accountability, the Arlington County Fire Department is looking to put its mission and priorities in writing with its first-ever strategic plan. The plan is designed…
Under the direction of Music Director James Ross, Alexandria Symphony Orchestra presents a holiday program “Holiday With A Twist.” Enjoy this celebration of the season with traditional fare mixed with…
The Ballston “singing tree” is set to return for the holiday season. Starting next week, the sparkling, voice-activated Christmas tree near the Ballston Metro station will brighten the neighborhood with…
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
The Optimist Club of Arlington is holding its 77th annual Christmas tree sale!
This year, the tree sale will be held at the Knights of Columbus (5115 Little Falls Road). The lot opens for sales on November 24th. The Optimist Club is selling small and large trees ranging from tabletop size to 10 foot tall trees! Wreaths, garland, tree stands, and White House Christmas ornaments will also be for sale.
100% of all proceeds go towards helping Arlington County youth.
For more information, please visit the Arlington Optimists website at https://optimistclubofarlingtonva.org/.
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to
2023 Christmas Tree Sales Begin
Saturday, December 2
Get your holiday decorating off to the right start this year! We will be selling 150 Fraser firs, freshly cut and delivered from Sparta, North Carolina.