Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.
🕗 News recap
The following articles were published earlier today — Aug 4, 2023.
- 9:40 am: Arlington County unveils new marketing campaign in attempt to boost tourism | 🗣️ Comments
- 10:50 am: Animal agency, county commission at odds over deer claims | 🗣️ Comments
- 12:00 pm: Source of year-round leaf blowing in Ballston remains a mystery | 🗣️ Comments
- 1:40 pm: A home run or strike out? Arlington seeks public input on athletic field use proposal | 🗣️ Comments
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- The Arlington County Fair is returning in two weeks (24136 views)
- Storm cleanup: GW Parkway still closed due to downed trees, 20k still without power (18722 views)
- Unusual crash closes N. Harrison Street near park (12975 views)
- Hollywood’s actor strike has come to Arlington (11256 views)
- Spout Run Parkway and northbound GW Parkway reopening today (9838 views)
- Seafood restaurant looking to open next month in Thirsty Bernie’s former home (9327 views)
- County to enforce zoning violations in Ballston public alley used by Advanced Towing (7961 views)
- UPDATED: Power restored to most but GW Parkway to remain closed for several days (7395 views)
- NEW: Girl sexually assaulted by intruder, police say (7236 views)
- A crane lowered a reclining Statue of Liberty in Virginia Square this morning (5588 views)
- ACPD investigating Porsche crash in which driver fled with small children (4768 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 8:00 am: Bridges to Independence Safe at Home Kickball Tournament
- 👉 9:00 am: Arlington Sports Conditioning Outdoor Workout and South Block Brunch
- 10:00 am: Dog Days of Summer: Adoption & Party with Homeward Trails Rescue Partners
- 10:00 am: Yoga in the Galleries at Museum of Contemporary Art Arlington
- 11:00 am: Reclining Liberty Opening Celebration
- 3:00 pm: Jazz@Central
- 7:30 pm: The Comedy Karaoke Trivia Funtime Show with Winston Hodges
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 10:00 am: No Experience Required Artist Spotlight: Olivia Tripp Morrow — Mandalas!
- 11:00 am: Westpost at National Landing presents Maker’s Market
- 7:00 pm: Sunset Yoga at Potomac Yard
🌤️ Saturday’s forecast
Patchy fog is expected before 9am, followed by increasing clouds and a high temperature near 88. There will be a mild north wind at 5 to 7 mph. Saturday night will see mostly cloudy skies that will gradually clear, with a low temperature around 68 and a light northeast wind at 3 to 6 mph. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Quote of the Day
“You must be the change you wish to see in the world.”
– Mahatma Gandhi
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
Good Wednesday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar. 🕗 News recap The following articles were published earlier today…
After a 2-year search for new digs, Arlington Independent Media is on the cusp of moving from its long-time headquarters in Clarendon.
Former Arlington Commonwealth’s Attorney Theo Stamos is taking a top job in the Virginia Attorney General’s Office. Stamos lost her reelection bid in 2019, defeated in the Democratic primary by…
Sometime next year, three residential streets in Arlington without sidewalks could get upgrades to allow for safer pedestrian and cyclist use. To help address demonstrated safety and access issues on…
About Latinas Leading Tomorrow (LLT): Latinas Leading Tomorrow is a dynamic 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young Latina women through education, mentorship, and leadership development. We are committed to fostering a community of future leaders who will make a significant impact to the community.
Job Description: We are seeking a passionate and dedicated Part-time Executive Director to lead our organization into its next phase of growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who can oversee day-to-day operations, drive fundraising efforts, and cultivate relationships with stakeholders. This is a 1099 position; Remote position with ability to attend DMV events; 8-10 hours a week; $35-40/per hour.
Oversee program operations, including educational and community initiatives.
Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, maintaining trust and accountability.
Develop and execute a strategic vision aligned with our mission and values.
Lead fundraising efforts in partnership with the Board Members.
Cultivate relationships with community partners, schools, educators, and donors.
Demonstrate strong leadership skills, fostering a positive organizational culture.
Communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders and make compelling public presentations.
Promote inclusivity and collaboration throughout the organization.
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to