Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.
🕗 News recap
The following articles were published earlier today — Aug 18, 2023.
- 9:45 am: D.C. man arrested, facing new charges in sexual assault case | 🗣️ Comments
- 10:45 am: Another segment of Columbia Pike to see construction and road closures next month | 🗣️ Comments
- 11:45 am: Nottingham parents claim plan to make the school a ‘swing space’ is based on flawed assumptions | 🗣️ Comments
- 12:45 pm: Adoptable Pet of the Week: Squirtle | 🗣️ Comments
- 1:30 pm: Photos from the 2023 Arlington County Fair | 🗣️ Comments
- 2:30 pm: Local social media influencer Margaret Skiff hits her stride documenting life in Arlington | 🗣️ Comments
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- BREAKING: Flash Flood, Severe Thunderstorm and Tornado warnings issued for Arlington (40910 views)
- New Ikea location in Pentagon City to open tomorrow (40180 views)
- Suspect in stolen ambulance chase had a recent Arlington arrest (10096 views)
- Arlington is ‘the most sought-after city by U.S. renters’ (8837 views)
- UPDATED: Crash involving overturned vehicle blocking N. Glebe Road at I-66 ramps (7959 views)
- Arlington police looking for serial flasher (7020 views)
- DCA to change its roads, add parking and build a new rental car facility (6733 views)
- Dominion Energy says burying power lines in Arlington complex and costly (6444 views)
- “Tropical glam bar” Coco B’s hoping to open this weekend in Clarendon (5956 views)
- Where to enjoy a three-course meal for Summer Restaurant Week in Arlington (5669 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 11:00 am: Ride + Flow at FitDistrict
- 7:00 pm: Sunset Yoga at Potomac Yard
- 7:00 pm: Sunset Yoga at Potomac Yard
☀️ Saturday’s forecast
The forecast predicts sunny weather with a high temperature of around 85 degrees and northwest winds at 6 to 9 mph during the day. The night will be clear, with temperatures dropping to approximately 64 degrees and west winds at a speed of 3 to 5 mph. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Quote of the Day
“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.”
– Walt Disney
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
A large fire department and police response is on scene at a fatal house fire in McLean, near the Arlington border. The fire was reported around 9:15 a.m. on the…
Last week ARLnow received an interesting reader email. The writer’s suggestion: we should beautify Arlington County by encouraging those with inflatable holiday decorations to keep them inflated at all times,…
Palestine Rally in Pentagon City — On Saturday afternoon: “Palestine rally at S. Hayes + Army Navy Drive in Pentagon City. Expect delays.” [Twitter, Twitter, Twitter] VHC Details New Facility…
A woman was shot this afternoon in the Green Valley neighborhood. The shooting happened around 1 p.m., reportedly near the intersection of S. Kemper Road and S. Oxford Street. Photos…
About Latinas Leading Tomorrow (LLT): Latinas Leading Tomorrow is a dynamic 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young Latina women through education, mentorship, and leadership development. We are committed to fostering a community of future leaders who will make a significant impact to the community.
Job Description: We are seeking a passionate and dedicated Part-time Executive Director to lead our organization into its next phase of growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who can oversee day-to-day operations, drive fundraising efforts, and cultivate relationships with stakeholders. This is a 1099 position; Remote position with ability to attend DMV events; 8-10 hours a week; $35-40/per hour.
Oversee program operations, including educational and community initiatives.
Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, maintaining trust and accountability.
Develop and execute a strategic vision aligned with our mission and values.
Lead fundraising efforts in partnership with the Board Members.
Cultivate relationships with community partners, schools, educators, and donors.
Demonstrate strong leadership skills, fostering a positive organizational culture.
Communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders and make compelling public presentations.
Promote inclusivity and collaboration throughout the organization.
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
Standup Comedy Starring Casey James Salengo (Comedy Central, Jimmy Kimmel Live)
Friday, December 29
Headliner: Casey James Salengo
Casey James Salengo is a NYC-based comedian who’s been featured on Comedy Central Presents, Jimmy Kimmel Live, This Week at the Cellar,
Menorah Lighting – Met Park at Amazon HQ2
Menorah Lighting and Community Celebration
Experience the festival of lights!!
*Lighting of a giant 9-foot Menorah