Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.
🕗 News recap
The following articles were published earlier today — Sep 1, 2023.
- 9:30 am: From rail yards to residential towers: Rosslyn’s half-century transformation | 🗣️ Comments
- 10:30 am: 9/11 Pentagon Memorial visitor center plans take a small step forward | 🗣️ Comments
- 11:45 am: Report: More than half of South Arlington families struggle to afford basic needs | 🗣️ Comments
- 12:45 pm: Obituary: Miriam Zogby Balutis (1945-2023) | 🗣️ Comments
- 3:55 pm: NEW: Police investigating dumpster death in Penrose | 🗣️ Comments
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- Starting in 2024, Arlington County will tax your impervious surfaces (21814 views)
- Arlington couple sounds alarm on internet rental scam (18049 views)
- NEW: Overdose reports at Wakefield prompt emergency response (11442 views)
- Three nabbed during early midnight high school burglary (8921 views)
- NEW: Another inmate has died at the Arlington County jail (6717 views)
- Fairfax shooting suspect arrested by Arlington SWAT team (6268 views)
- Marine from Arlington among three killed in Osprey crash (5812 views)
- ACPD: Two seriously hurt in separate weekend attacks (5501 views)
- Cookie purveyor Chip City is coming to Shirlington (5324 views)
- Man flashes gun during 7-Eleven robbery near Shirlington (5189 views)
- Arlington-based South Block looks to expand in D.C. area and beyond (5185 views)
- Enrollment uptick continues for Arlington’s private schools post-Covid, while APS makes a comeback (5177 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 11:00 am: Westpost at National Landing presents Maker’s Market
- 11:00 am: Arlington Open House
☀️ Saturday’s forecast
The weather will be sunny with a high temperature close to 84 degrees, accompanied by calm winds that will turn south at around 6 mph during the morning. In the evening, expect increasing clouds and a low temperature of around 65 degrees, alongside a south wind at approximately 6 mph. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Quote of the Day
“To thine own self be true.”
– William Shakespeare
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
Last week ARLnow received an interesting reader email. The writer’s suggestion: we should beautify Arlington County by encouraging those with inflatable holiday decorations to keep them inflated at all times,…
Palestine Rally in Pentagon City — On Saturday afternoon: “Palestine rally at S. Hayes + Army Navy Drive in Pentagon City. Expect delays.” [Twitter, Twitter, Twitter] VHC Details New Facility…
A woman was shot this afternoon in the Green Valley neighborhood. The shooting happened around 1 p.m., reportedly near the intersection of S. Kemper Road and S. Oxford Street. Photos…
It’s going to be a rainy Sunday. A very rainy Sunday. A Flood Watch for much of the D.C. area was issued Friday night, ahead of the storm. Forecasters say…
About Latinas Leading Tomorrow (LLT): Latinas Leading Tomorrow is a dynamic 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young Latina women through education, mentorship, and leadership development. We are committed to fostering a community of future leaders who will make a significant impact to the community.
Job Description: We are seeking a passionate and dedicated Part-time Executive Director to lead our organization into its next phase of growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who can oversee day-to-day operations, drive fundraising efforts, and cultivate relationships with stakeholders. This is a 1099 position; Remote position with ability to attend DMV events; 8-10 hours a week; $35-40/per hour.
Oversee program operations, including educational and community initiatives.
Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, maintaining trust and accountability.
Develop and execute a strategic vision aligned with our mission and values.
Lead fundraising efforts in partnership with the Board Members.
Cultivate relationships with community partners, schools, educators, and donors.
Demonstrate strong leadership skills, fostering a positive organizational culture.
Communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders and make compelling public presentations.
Promote inclusivity and collaboration throughout the organization.
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
Standup Comedy Starring Casey James Salengo (Comedy Central, Jimmy Kimmel Live)
Friday, December 29
Headliner: Casey James Salengo
Casey James Salengo is a NYC-based comedian who’s been featured on Comedy Central Presents, Jimmy Kimmel Live, This Week at the Cellar,
Menorah Lighting – Met Park at Amazon HQ2
Menorah Lighting and Community Celebration
Experience the festival of lights!!
*Lighting of a giant 9-foot Menorah