News

In just a few more months, the Macy’s in Ballston should be completely demolished.

Excavation, the next phase of redevelopment project, is predicted to start next season, developer Insight Property Group told ARLnow. Plans call for 553 new apartments, ground-floor retail and a grocery store.


News

Another office-to-residential conversion project may be on the horizon in Arlington, this time at a nine-story Ballston building.

Rooney Properties acquired The Ellipse at Ballston, located at 4350 N. Fairfax Drive, last month. The firm considers the property “a candidate for future redevelopment” and residential conversion, vice president Greg Hoffman told ARLnow.


Around Town

Scolapasta has shifted gears in Ballston.

The fast-casual Italian restaurant has abandoned its plans to open this summer at 4219 Fairfax Drive, across the street from the Ballston Metro. Instead, owner Burak Temel told ARLnow that he intends to open a kiosk in the food court at Ballston Quarter.


News

An 18-year-old Arlington man and several teen boys have been charged in connection to a pair of linked incidents earlier this week, including a shot fired near Ballston.

Around noon on Tuesday a male victim was robbed of clothes in the stairwell of a parking garage on the 600 block of N. Glebe Road — which corresponds with the Ballston mall garage. The man and two teens were later arrested and face several charges, according to Arlington County police.


Around Town

Van Leeuwen Ice Cream is expanding in Arlington, with plans to replace a longtime Clarendon ice cream shop and potentially open another location in Ballston.

The website for The Crossing Clarendon lists the national ice cream franchise as “coming soon” to the spot that Nicecream currently occupies at 2831 Clarendon Blvd. Permit records also indicate that Van Leeuwen, which did not respond to a request for comment, is considering a location at 4075 Wilson Blvd in Ballston.


News

Several schools were secured this morning after a report of shots fired in the Buckingham neighborhood near Ballston.

It happened just before 9:15 a.m. At least two 911 callers reported hearing gunfire and seeing a group of teens running from the area, according to scanner traffic.


News

The driver in a Ballston crash in January that killed a 32-year-old woman will not face any criminal charges, police have announced.

Investigators determined that the driver of the pickup truck that struck and killed a car driven by Xuewei He of McLean “experienced a medical emergency prior to the crash,” the Arlington County Police Department announced in a press release today (Wednesday).


News

Another developer is setting its sights on redeveloping a Ballston office building as a residential high-rise.

Aria Development Group filed plans last week to replace a five-story structure at 4420 Fairfax Drive with a 22-story tower. The new building would have 302 residential units, 5,017 square feet of retail and 86 parking spaces.


Around Town

A popular D.C. destination for Italian subs is opening a Ballston location tomorrow (Friday).

Grazie Grazie, a Philadelphia-inspired Italian deli, is preparing to open its first Virginia location at 4121 Wilson Blvd, where Farmbird closed three years ago. The new shop’s menu features over a dozen sandwiches and seven signature pizzas.


News

More than two months later, the driver who struck and killed a 32-year-old in a January crash in Ballston is still in the hospital and police continue to investigate the incident.

The unnamed driver, identified only as a 71-year-old man, was behind the wheel of the pickup truck that slammed into another vehicle near the intersection of Wilson Blvd and N. Glebe Road on Jan. 27, killing McLean resident Xuewei He.


News

A man wanted in two jurisdictions by federal authorities was taken into custody in Ballston earlier this week.

Members of the U.S. Marshals Service arrested 22-year-old Tyler Jordan Clendenen on Tuesday, mere feet from the entrance to the Ballston Metro station.


Around Town

Now celebrating a decade in Ballston, an award-winning Spanish restaurant is opening an outdoor patio as its owners consider plans for a new Arlington eatery.

SER co-owners Javier Candon and Christiana Campos commemorated 10 years at 1110 N. Glebe Road over the weekend alongside about 300 supporters. Expressing gratitude for community support and regional recognition, they teased expansion plans.


View More Stories