Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.
🕗 News recap
The following articles were published earlier today — Jul 21, 2023.
- 9:30 am: Renovation plans for 93 units at Barcroft get thumbs up from County Board | 🗣️ Comments
- 10:30 am: Kirby Club pushes back opening in Clarendon, now aiming for spring 2024 | 🗣️ Comments
- 11:30 am: Toys ‘R’ Us RV tour coming to Arlington next week | 🗣️ Comments
- 12:30 pm: Adoptable Pet of the Week: Berkeley | 🗣️ Comments
- 1:30 pm: Local nonprofit ensures safe and healthy housing for community members | 🗣️ Comments
- 3:30 pm: Former journalist who lived on Columbia Pike pleads guilty to child sexual abuse material possession | 🗣️ Comments
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- The Pinemoor in Clarendon is closing today (19527 views)
- Surreal restaurant hoping for fall opening in Crystal City but details remain sparse (9147 views)
- Amazon Fresh store in Crystal City closes temporarily (9043 views)
- Driver smashes through bank drive-thru in Falls Church (8886 views)
- JUST IN: Man charged with sexually assaulting woman in Metro station (8375 views)
- Vehicle flips in morning crash near Ballston (8319 views)
- Arlington reigns supreme as nation’s fittest ‘city’ for sixth year in a row (7103 views)
- Water main break closes several Arlington County facilities (7033 views)
- After four decades in Arlington, Rick’s Tattoo is moving to Bailey’s Crossroads (5775 views)
- Spanish immersion preschool and daycare could take over Staples near Ballston (4836 views)
- ACPD: Three arrested for catalytic converter theft (4818 views)
- An Arlington teen has been rowing for over 50 hours in an attempt to beat a world record (4502 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 10:00 am: Parent/Child: Fun Printmaking! Block Carving and Printing Workshop @ Art House 7
- 10:00 am: Yoga in the Galleries at Museum of Contemporary Art Arlington
- 👉 1:00 pm: Dog Portraits at Paws on the Plaza
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 10:00 am: MoCA on the Move at Met Park: No Experience Required
- 3:00 pm: A Moment for Music: An Afternoon Concert
- 7:00 pm: Sunset Yoga at Potomac Yard
☀️ Saturday’s forecast
Expect mostly sunny skies during the day with a high temperature near 86°F and a north wind at 7 mph. In the evening, the skies will remain mostly clear as temperatures dip to around 67°F, with the north wind at 6 mph becoming calm after midnight. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Quote of the Day
“In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.”
– Abraham Lincoln
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
Arlington School Board Chair Christina Diaz-Torres will not be seeking re-election. Diaz-Torres, who became chair this July, announced the decision last night (Wednesday) at the Arlington County Democratic Committee meeting,…
After a several-month delay, 2910 Kitchen & Bar is gearing up to open next month on Columbia Pike pending final permit approvals, according to the restaurant owner.
More than 2,000 people have donated to the family who lost everything in the N. Burlington Street explosion, tripling initial fundraising goals.
More on House Explosion Suspect — “The Virginia man presumed to have been killed when his house exploded while cops tried to serve a search warrant had posted rambling conspiracy…
About Latinas Leading Tomorrow (LLT): Latinas Leading Tomorrow is a dynamic 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young Latina women through education, mentorship, and leadership development. We are committed to fostering a community of future leaders who will make a significant impact to the community.
Job Description: We are seeking a passionate and dedicated Part-time Executive Director to lead our organization into its next phase of growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who can oversee day-to-day operations, drive fundraising efforts, and cultivate relationships with stakeholders. This is a 1099 position; Remote position with ability to attend DMV events; 8-10 hours a week; $35-40/per hour.
Oversee program operations, including educational and community initiatives.
Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, maintaining trust and accountability.
Develop and execute a strategic vision aligned with our mission and values.
Lead fundraising efforts in partnership with the Board Members.
Cultivate relationships with community partners, schools, educators, and donors.
Demonstrate strong leadership skills, fostering a positive organizational culture.
Communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders and make compelling public presentations.
Promote inclusivity and collaboration throughout the organization.
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to