Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.
🕗 News recap
The following articles were published earlier today — Oct 27, 2023.
- 9:45 am: Morning Poll: How closely are you paying to the 2023 election? | 🗣️ Comments
- 10:30 am: Video: Car seen driving down bike path near Rosslyn | 🗣️ Comments
- 11:30 am: A new boutique has opened in Clarendon | 🗣️ Comments
- 2:00 pm: JUST IN: Suspect in custody after shots fired in Fairlington | 🗣️ Comments
- 3:30 pm: Podcast: ‘Flood Czar’ on the ARLnow comment section and Arlington history | 🗣️ Comments
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- Marine Corps Marathon to bring runners and road closures to Arlington this weekend (10779 views)
- Chinese eatery Tiger Dumpling set to open this week in Clarendon (8202 views)
- Man carjacked of BMW by gun-toting suspects along Columbia Pike (7700 views)
- NWS predicts warmer, wetter winter — but Farmers Almanac sees snow (7652 views)
- Video: Driver narrowly avoids being struck by overturning car (7360 views)
- NEW: Frost Advisory issued for Arlington and D.C. (7334 views)
- Final building in the Red Top Cab redevelopment in Clarendon wraps up months ahead of schedule (6567 views)
- Photos: Neighborhoods across Arlington go all out for Halloween this year (6557 views)
- Police investigating armed robberies in Crystal City and Lyon Park (5738 views)
- Here’s what you need to know about trick-or-treating in Arlington in 2023 (4664 views)
- Here’s where ACPD is planning targeted traffic enforcement this fall (3988 views)
- NEW: Nottingham will not be a ‘swing space’ for upcoming school renovations, says APS (3969 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 9:00 am: Book It For Books 5K/One-Mile Run
- 9:00 am: Ditch and Switch
- 9:30 am: Handprints in Clay Parent-Child Workshop at Art House 7
- 10:00 am: Yoga in the Galleries
- 10:00 am: Adult Basic Bike Skills Clinic
- 10:30 am: Trick or Treat at The Village at Shirlington!
- 11:00 am: Hypnotherapy Workshop for Anxiety
- 11:00 am: Honoring the Enslaved People of the Ball-Sellers House
- 1:00 pm: Dia de los Muertos
- 2:00 pm: Sound Bath in the Tiffany Gallery
- 2:00 pm: Sound Bath in the Tiffany Gallery
- 2:00 pm: Level Up Your Kitchen Nutrition Workshop
- 9:00 pm: Tunnels End – Halloween Show & Costume Contest
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 2:00 pm: Doggie Trick-or-Treating at Dogma
- 3:00 pm: Barrelhouse Presents
- 4:00 pm: Somatic Mindfulness Workshop
- 4:00 pm: Faith and Polarization: A Participatory Afternoon
- 4:00 pm: Band Fundraiser
- 4:00 pm: Kids Halloween Concert
- 5:00 pm: Arlington Philharmonic Fundraiser
☀️ Saturday’s forecast
Expect sunny skies and a high of 82 degrees with a west wind at 5-9 mph during the day. Saturday night will bring isolated showers before 11pm, then turning mostly cloudy with a low around 60. The northwest wind will be at 5-7 mph, shifting to the northeast after midnight. There’s a 20% chance of precipitation. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Quote of the Day
“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”
– Albert Einstein
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
Good Wednesday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar. 🕗 News recap The following articles were published earlier today…
After a 2-year search for new digs, Arlington Independent Media is on the cusp of moving from its long-time headquarters in Clarendon.
Former Arlington Commonwealth’s Attorney Theo Stamos is taking a top job in the Virginia Attorney General’s Office. Stamos lost her reelection bid in 2019, defeated in the Democratic primary by…
Sometime next year, three residential streets in Arlington without sidewalks could get upgrades to allow for safer pedestrian and cyclist use. To help address demonstrated safety and access issues on…
About Latinas Leading Tomorrow (LLT): Latinas Leading Tomorrow is a dynamic 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young Latina women through education, mentorship, and leadership development. We are committed to fostering a community of future leaders who will make a significant impact to the community.
Job Description: We are seeking a passionate and dedicated Part-time Executive Director to lead our organization into its next phase of growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who can oversee day-to-day operations, drive fundraising efforts, and cultivate relationships with stakeholders. This is a 1099 position; Remote position with ability to attend DMV events; 8-10 hours a week; $35-40/per hour.
Oversee program operations, including educational and community initiatives.
Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, maintaining trust and accountability.
Develop and execute a strategic vision aligned with our mission and values.
Lead fundraising efforts in partnership with the Board Members.
Cultivate relationships with community partners, schools, educators, and donors.
Demonstrate strong leadership skills, fostering a positive organizational culture.
Communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders and make compelling public presentations.
Promote inclusivity and collaboration throughout the organization.
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to