Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.
🕗 News recap
The following articles were published earlier today — Jul 28, 2023.
- 9:30 am: GMU acquires office building across from Mason Square campus amid expansion project | 🗣️ Comments
- 10:30 am: Rehab work starts on 21st Street N. bridge over I-66 | 🗣️ Comments
- 11:30 am: Local leaders hope second Crystal City Metro entrance can help further revitalize and connect neighborhood | 🗣️ Comments
- 12:30 pm: Adoptable Pet of the Week: Panda | 🗣️ Comments
- 1:30 pm: UPDATED: Man arrested for mirror thefts was previously arrested for vehicle vandalism spree | 🗣️ Comments
- 5:10 pm: Severe Thunderstorm Watch issued for Arlington | 🗣️ Comments
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- DEVELOPING: Propane tanker overturns, blocking southbound I-395 (14958 views)
- Arlington advises residents to avoid Four Mile Run after ‘dumping incident’ (11086 views)
- Ballston movie theater without AC amid ‘Barbie’ and ‘Oppenheimer’ blockbuster weekend (10314 views)
- Man escapes armed carjacking attempt near Potomac Yard (8385 views)
- NEW: Police investigating reported sexual assault and slashing in Crystal City (7873 views)
- Report: Arlington has tenth-highest rent in the U.S. (7005 views)
- Houses on former Febrey-Lothrop site to go on sale in the fall (6738 views)
- Westmont Apartments opens on Columbia Pike, as Five Guys and another eatery plan to move in (6126 views)
- NEW: Another BMW has been carjacked in Arlington (5779 views)
- Alamo Drafthouse Cinema to host ‘Barbie’ movie slumber party (5430 views)
- 13 non-touristy things to do near DC this summer (4885 views)
- Arlington under Severe Thunderstorm Watch tonight (3928 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 10:00 am: Let’s Make Earrings! 11yrs+ Parent/Child Workshop at Art House 7
- 10:00 am: Playdate at AUCP Playground
- 10:00 am: Yoga in the Galleries at Museum of Contemporary Art Arlington
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 10:00 am: No Experience Required Artist Spotlight: Allie Tripp — Print a Local Postcard!
- 11:00 am: Sunday Funday
- 7:00 pm: Sunset Yoga at Potomac Yard
⛈️ Saturday’s forecast
Expect showers and thunderstorms after 2pm, with mostly sunny weather and a high of 96°F. The heat index may reach 104°F, while west winds of 7-13 mph may gust up to 20 mph. There is a 60% chance of precipitation, with potential rainfall of up to half an inch. Saturday night, anticipate likely showers and thunderstorms mainly before 8pm, with a low around 72°F and winds shifting from west to north. The chance of precipitation remains 60%, with new rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, but potentially higher in thunderstorms. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Quote of the Day
“Do what you can with what you have where you are.”
– Theodore Roosevelt
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
Good Tuesday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar. 🕗 News recap The following articles were published earlier today…
In a bid to improve accountability, the Arlington County Fire Department is looking to put its mission and priorities in writing with its first-ever strategic plan. The plan is designed…
Under the direction of Music Director James Ross, Alexandria Symphony Orchestra presents a holiday program “Holiday With A Twist.” Enjoy this celebration of the season with traditional fare mixed with…
The Ballston “singing tree” is set to return for the holiday season. Starting next week, the sparkling, voice-activated Christmas tree near the Ballston Metro station will brighten the neighborhood with…
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
The Optimist Club of Arlington is holding its 77th annual Christmas tree sale!
This year, the tree sale will be held at the Knights of Columbus (5115 Little Falls Road). The lot opens for sales on November 24th. The Optimist Club is selling small and large trees ranging from tabletop size to 10 foot tall trees! Wreaths, garland, tree stands, and White House Christmas ornaments will also be for sale.
100% of all proceeds go towards helping Arlington County youth.
For more information, please visit the Arlington Optimists website at https://optimistclubofarlingtonva.org/.
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to
2023 Christmas Tree Sales Begin
Saturday, December 2
Get your holiday decorating off to the right start this year! We will be selling 150 Fraser firs, freshly cut and delivered from Sparta, North Carolina.