Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.
🕗 News recap
The following articles were published earlier today — Nov 3, 2023.
- 9:30 am: Audrey Clement: Why you should vote for me | 🗣️ Comments
- 10:00 am: Maureen Coffey: Why you should vote for me | 🗣️ Comments
- 10:30 am: Susan Cunningham: Why you should vote for me | 🗣️ Comments
- 11:00 am: Juan Carlos Fierro: Why you should vote for me | 🗣️ Comments
- 11:30 am: Longtime Arlingtonian, housing advocate and local leader Cecilia Cassidy dies at 75 | 🗣️ Comments
- 12:30 pm: ACPD: Man with gun robbed the Courthouse CVS last night | 🗣️ Comments
- 1:30 pm: Sophia Moshasha: Why you should vote for me | 🗣️ Comments
- 2:00 pm: Adam Ebbin: Why you should vote for me | 🗣️ Comments
- 2:30 pm: David Henshaw: Why you should vote for me | 🗣️ Comments
- 3:30 pm: Podcast: Michael Stiefvater on Arlington’s tech industry | 🗣️ Comments
- 4:05 pm: TRAFFIC ALERT: GW Parkway blocked in both directions by crash | 🗣️ Comments
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- JUST IN: Police investigating apartment break-in and rape in Rosslyn (38280 views)
- The Italian Store in Westover discontinues meal deal for Swanson students after alleged egging of customers, employees (33102 views)
- Cyclists and runners can grab free lights and high-visibility vests this week (28990 views)
- Violent collision on Custis Trail sends two to hospital (17369 views)
- NOW: At least four hurt after pair of crashes close local intersections (14462 views)
- New seafood restaurant Ocean Shack plans to open next month (8190 views)
- Columbia Pike bids farewell to Papillon Cycles after nearly 50 years in Arlington (7337 views)
- Rappahannock Coffee to close this month as another café prepares to move in (6227 views)
- Arlington authorities warn of ‘currently circulating’ phone scam (5301 views)
- Park next to HQ2 to transform into winter wonderland and holiday market next month (4905 views)
- Snouts & Stouts indoor dog park and bar set to open next month in Green Valley (4634 views)
- Arlington man charged after alleged gunfire following delivery dispute (3895 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 8:00 am: Scouting For Food – Arlington Food Assistance Center
- 👉 9:00 am: CUMC Heritage Bazaar
- 10:00 am: Painting the Portrait in Oils 2-Day Workshop with Teresa Oaxaca at Art House 7
- 10:00 am: Dominion Hills Falls Craft Show
- 10:00 am: FREE! Enjoy the Pleasures of Walking Meditation: Slow Down and Set Your Own Pace
- 2:00 pm: Jane Franklin Dance Presents: The Big Meow & Forty+ Project
- 👉 5:00 pm: Hawaiian Gala in Arlington!
- 7:30 pm: The Comedy Karaoke Trivia Funtime Show with Kandace Saunders
- 👉 7:30 pm: National Chamber Ensemble – Diva’s Night Out with Schubert, Strauss and More
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
- 12:00 am: Wakefield Crew Wreath Fundraiser
- 👉 9:00 am: CUMC’s Annual Christmas Tree Sale
- 👉 1:00 pm: Fusion Festival
☀️ Saturday’s forecast
Expect mostly sunny skies with a high of 64 degrees and calm winds shifting towards the northwest at around 5 mph in the afternoon. Saturday night will be mostly cloudy as the temperature drops to around 44 degrees, with south winds at 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Quote of the Day
“Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.”
– Thomas Jefferson
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar. 🕗 News recap The following articles were published earlier today…
There’s no official word on its website, but it looks like Bar Ivy in Clarendon may have closed permanently.
There’s persistence, and then there is Audrey Clement and her decade-plus effort to get elected to local office in Arlington. Clement talked with ARLnow editor Scott Brodbeck to talk about…
Makers Union, an upscale gastropub, is set to open its doors in Pentagon City next week, says Alex Brown, the restaurant’s director of operations. This opening marks the third Makers Union location in the D.C. Metropolitan area, following the debut of its Reston location three years ago and a recent opening at the Wharf in early October.
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
The Optimist Club of Arlington is holding its 77th annual Christmas tree sale!
This year, the tree sale will be held at the Knights of Columbus (5115 Little Falls Road). The lot opens for sales on November 24th. The Optimist Club is selling small and large trees ranging from tabletop size to 10 foot tall trees! Wreaths, garland, tree stands, and White House Christmas ornaments will also be for sale.
100% of all proceeds go towards helping Arlington County youth.
For more information, please visit the Arlington Optimists website at https://optimistclubofarlingtonva.org/.
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to
2023 Christmas Tree Sales Begin
Saturday, December 2
Get your holiday decorating off to the right start this year! We will be selling 150 Fraser firs, freshly cut and delivered from Sparta, North Carolina.