Good Friday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar.
🕗 News recap
The following articles were published earlier today — Nov 17, 2023.
- 9:30 am: VDOT work on W-L parking garage over I-66 underway | 🗣️ Comments
- 10:30 am: County seeks feedback on policies for using drones during public safety and emergency responses | 🗣️ Comments
- 11:30 am: ‘Our Man in Arlington,’ local historian Charlie Clark, dies at 70 | 🗣️ Comments
- 12:30 pm: Arlington Pet of the Week: Bruni | 🗣️ Comments
- 1:25 pm: UPDATED: Arlington issues fire ban amid Fire Weather Watch for N. Va. | 🗣️ Comments
- 1:45 pm: Yet another threat at a local middle school prompts police response | 🗣️ Comments
- 3:35 pm: Just in time for the holidays, here are some of the newer additions to the ARLnow Shop | 🗣️ Comments
- 7:45 pm: NEW: Bomb threat at Arlington synagogue | 🗣️ Comments
Since it’s Friday, we’ve also compiled a list of the most-read articles of the week, below.
- UPDATED: Police and fire department respond to bomb threat at middle school (31376 views)
- FDIC scrutinized for ‘toxic culture’ and ‘boozy hotel’ in Virginia Square (25726 views)
- JUST IN: Police investigating apparent shooting at Rosslyn Marriott site (22430 views)
- New docs show APS had no formal contract with Kaiser, which admits it ‘dropped the ball’ (20163 views)
- Cheesetique in Shirlington will become a new Italian restaurant next month (18800 views)
- Odd plaque near the Madison Community Center no longer includes antiquated Civil War reference (14615 views)
- NWS: Elevated fire danger in Northern Virginia today (13431 views)
- JUST IN: Gunston Middle School locked down due to threat (11942 views)
- New digital payment system in Ballston Quarter garage catches some drivers ‘off-guard’ (11031 views)
- JUST IN: Security guard charged with weekend shooting in Rosslyn (7370 views)
- Four Arlington startups rank among North America’s top 500 fastest-growing tech companies (6756 views)
- After several crashes, county fast-tracks intersection near Lubber Run Community Center for safety improvements (4778 views)
- NEW: County truck drives off bridge in local park (4258 views)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on Saturday in Arlington, from our event calendar.
- 👉 8:30 am: JBLF 5K and Family Fair
- 10:00 am: Parent-Child Printmaking Fun at Art House 7!
- 12:00 pm: Winter Wars Boxing Bash
- 3:00 pm: Jazz@Central
- 3:00 pm: South Arlington Slow Ride & Afterparty
Here are the events planned for Sunday:
🌤️ Saturday’s forecast
Expect partly sunny skies that will gradually clear up, reaching a high of around 58 degrees. A northwest wind will blow at 8 to 15 mph, with gusts reaching up to 25 mph. Saturday night will be clear with a low near 37 degrees, accompanied by a northwest wind blowing at 7 to 10 mph. See more from Weather.gov.
💡 Quote of the Day
“It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.”
🌅 Tonight’s sunset
We hope you have a great weekend, Arlington! Feel free to discuss the most-read stories of the week, the upcoming weekend events or anything else of local interest in the comments. 👋
Good Tuesday evening, Arlington. Let’s take a look back at today’s stories and a look forward to tomorrow’s event calendar. 🕗 News recap The following articles were published earlier today…
James Yoo, 56, is presumed dead as a result of the explosion of the duplex at 844 N. Burlington Street, in the Bluemont neighborhood, Arlington County police confirmed during a news conference this afternoon.
A land-use study teeing up an affordable housing redevelopment project in Aurora Highlands has generated significant interest as it nears completion.
Booeymonger in Ballston will be replaced by a new full-service Nepalese restaurant this spring, according to the incoming tenant.
About Latinas Leading Tomorrow (LLT): Latinas Leading Tomorrow is a dynamic 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young Latina women through education, mentorship, and leadership development. We are committed to fostering a community of future leaders who will make a significant impact to the community.
Job Description: We are seeking a passionate and dedicated Part-time Executive Director to lead our organization into its next phase of growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who can oversee day-to-day operations, drive fundraising efforts, and cultivate relationships with stakeholders. This is a 1099 position; Remote position with ability to attend DMV events; 8-10 hours a week; $35-40/per hour.
Oversee program operations, including educational and community initiatives.
Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, maintaining trust and accountability.
Develop and execute a strategic vision aligned with our mission and values.
Lead fundraising efforts in partnership with the Board Members.
Cultivate relationships with community partners, schools, educators, and donors.
Demonstrate strong leadership skills, fostering a positive organizational culture.
Communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders and make compelling public presentations.
Promote inclusivity and collaboration throughout the organization.
Children’s Weekday Program (CWP) is a non-profit preschool rooted in a play-based philosophy. We focus on developing a love of learning and exploration, cooperation, empathy, and independence.
Our caring and experienced educators create opportunities for children 16 months to 5 years old to play, learn, and grow in a nurturing environment of child-centered and developmentally appropriate experiences.
Initially established more than 50 years ago in South Arlington, CWP continues to be a lauded program in the Northern Virginia area. We are extremely proud to have been recognized as a Best Preschool in Northern Virginia Magazine for the last 4 years.
Located now in North Arlington at 2666 Military Road, CWP offers a part-time parents day out and preschool program with options to extend care both before and after school. We offer a supportive and inclusive school community for children and parents alike and welcome all families to join our school!
Holiday Art Show featuring artists: Peter Fitzgerald, Claire Plante, Alanna Rivera, and Suzy Scollon. At the Barcroft Community House, 800 South Buchanan St., Arlington, VA. Dec. 8 from, 2 PM to 8 PM and Dec. 9 from 10 AM to