Goodbye Mister Days, Clarendon Ballroom, Java Shack — and hello food halls, outdoor beer garden, and more restaurants than we can count.
It’s no secret that Arlington has had quite the 2019, and as 2020 gets underway, here’s some of what’s opened, what’s closed, and what’s to come in 2020. For those keeping score, Ballston appears to be the hot spot for new restaurants, in part thanks to the opening of the renovated Ballston Quarter mall.
Some of Arlington’s most iconic businesses closed in 2019, including:
- Clarendon Ballroom announced it would be closing after 20 years in business, following one last New Year’s Eve bash
- Cosi closed in Ballston.
- A heavily-frequented Starbucks at Lee-Harrison closed in December, replaced by the county’s first drive-through Starbucks nearby.
- Blümen Cafe abruptly closed in December, with a new cafe said to be coming soon.
- Java Shack served its final mugs of coffee in October, but will be replaced by another coffee shop.
- Hawaiian restaurant Hula Girl Bar and Grill closed in September.
- The Real Housewives of Potomac-owned Oz Restaurant shuttered in June.
- Three area Subway sandwich restaurants bit the bullet in Clarendon, Cherrydale, and Ballston.
- Pete’s New Haven Apizza closed its Clarendon eatery in August.
- Family Dry Cleaners on Columbia Pike shuttered in July — temporarily taking its customers clothing with it.
- Ballston lost its Cheesetique in June (but the Shirlington location expanded).
- Also in June, Ray’s The Steaks sizzled out, and a long line of customers showed up for its last service.
- Fiona’s Irish Pub closed suddenly in Crystal City, later replaced by McNamara’s Irish Pub.
- Citizen Burger Bar flipped its last patty in June.
- On Columbia Pike, Josephine’s Italian Kitchen closed in May.
- Rosslyn sushi bar Kona Grill rolled out in April.
- Also in Rosslyn, Bean Good Coffee Pub brewed its last cup in April.
- Who could forget Mister Days, which shuttered its doors in April after 40 years in business.
- Williamsburg spot Backyard BBQ had its last cookout in February.
- Rosslyn pizzeria Piola shut down in January.
Throughout the year, Arlington got everything from a fast-casual soup eatery to a healthy gelato shop:
- Arlington welcomed its second Pupatella location, which opened on Walter Reed Drive in December.
- Restaurant Open Road Grill and cocktail lounge Salt opened at Central Place in Rosslyn in December.
- Happy Endings Eatery opened in Rosslyn, with some criticizing its provocative name.
- East West Coffee and Wine opened its second location in Clarendon in December.
- In November, a new health-focused gelato shop opened in Pentagon Row.
- Rock-and-roll themed taco restaurant Taco Rock opened in Rosslyn in November.
- We, The Pizza opened in Ballston with customizable pies and gelato shakes.
- Poké it Up opened in Ballston in October.
- The Renegade replaced Mister Days in October.
- Arlington got its first indoor running studio in October.
- Another fitness studio, BASH Boxing, opened in Ballston in the same month.
- Italian restaurant Sfoglina opened in Rosslyn in October.
- Zoup! Eatery opened in Ballston in October.
- A new Harris Teeter opened on Columbia Pike in October, as part of the Centro development.
- Bronson Bier Hall opened in Ballston in August.
- South Block expanded into Rosslyn in August.
- The cafe and Asian eatery Open Kitchen opened in Rosslyn in August.
- Nepalese restaurant Namaste Everest touched down in Pentagon in July.
- Sloppy Mama’s Barbeque started roasting in July on Lee Highway.
- After some drama, The Lot beer garden opened in July.
- Stone Hot Pizza opened in Clarendon in June.
- Ted’s Bulletin and Sidekick Bakery welcomed customers to Ballston in June.
- Clarendon got the three-level bar/restaurant TTT, Buena Vida, and Buena Vida Social Club over the summer.
- Acme Pie started slicing up on Columbia Pike in June.
- Takeshi Sushi and Ramen opened next to Delhi Dhaba in Clarendon in May.
- All About Burger opened in Ballston Quarter in May.
- Nearby, True Food Kitchen had its grand opening in Ballston in May as well.
- Ballston continued to get healthy with the opening of Dirt in April.
- Turkish and Mediterranean restaurant Maya Bistro opened on Lee Highway in April.
- Veteran-owned Good Company cafe and donut shop Good Company opened in April.
- Craft beer bar Rebellion on the Pike opened — surprise — on Columbia Pike in April.
- Ballston Quarter started rolling out its first food hall options in March.
- South Block said what’s up to Ballston Quarter in March as well.
- Los Tios opened its doors in Crystal City in March.
- Smoking Kow took over from Backyard BBQ in February.
- Idido’s Coffee House and Cafe started pouring on Columbia Pike in February.
- Thai Treasure opened in Virginia Square in February.
- Old Dominion Pizza company opened on Lee Highway in January.
- Six new restaurants are coming to the new concourse at Reagan National Airport, including Elevation Burger and Timber Pizza.
- Bozzelli’s, a space-themed pizza shop and deli, is expanding into a larger spot in Crystal City.
- Mezeh will open soon in Ballston Quarter, serving fast-casual Mediterranean.
- Lee Highway will be home to Arlington’s first indoor swim school.
- Months after Linda’s Cafe shuttered, construction for the new Bob and Edith’s on Lee Highway is now underway
- Smokecraft Modern Barbecue is scheduled to arrive this spring in the former Citizen’s Burger Bar space in Clarendon.
- Lebanese Taverna is supposed to open its fast-casual venture, LebTav, soon in Ballston.
- Shirlington will get a new Mexican restaurant, Taco + Piña, in early 2020.
- Ballston Quarter is set to get a new poke stand in its food hall.
- World of Beer might be coming to Ballston.
- Rosslyn will get two more food halls, making three in a two-block radius.
- The owner of Taco Bamba will open an “all day egg” restaurant concept in Ballston.
- Fast-casual Indian restaurant Rasa will open in Crystal City.
- Columbia Pike will get a Supreme Hot Pot restaurant.
- El Rey Taqueria is slated to open in Ballston at some point in the new year.
- The Hilton Brothers’ Cafe Colline will replace Cassatt’s in the Lee Heights shopping center.
- Beer and pizza joint Quincy Hall will open in Ballston.
- Despite an initial July opening date, Muse Paintbar has yet to open in Ballston Quarter.
- The Salt Line will open next year at the new 4040 Wilson Blvd building in Ballston.
- Compass Coffee and Union Kitchen in Ballston will open after over a year in development.
- The Freshman, a new independent coffee shop and restaurant in Crystal City, is opening this year.
Looking for something to do this week in Arlington? Check out the following selections from our event calendar. If you’d like to see your event featured, fill out this form….
It’s a little less park-like than New York City’s High Line, but Arlington County has come up with a concept for new pedestrian bridge from Crystal City to National Airport….
Searching for a new place? Join the open house event at 1500 Arlington Apartments this Saturday.
Good news for coffee lovers who enjoy not taking extra steps to get their caffeine fix: Arlington’s lone drive-thru Starbucks is only closed temporarily. The cafe at 5515 Langston Blvd,…
INF Care Virtual Concierge is a new and inviting option to remote assistance that leverages the best of what technology should encompass with quality interaction.
For the busy individual that needs a way to reduce stress and tackle caring for an older family member that lives alone.
For the maturing adult that just needs help with everyday tedious tasks, connectivity, and access to data on their everyday habits to pinpoint areas that need more attention.
Looking for a more convenient way to work out?
On the Go Fitness Pro offers in home personal training. We bring the gym to you, so you can save time and skip the hassle of going to the gym. Plus, our trainers are certified and experienced, so you can be sure you’re getting the best possible workout.
We provide all the equipment needed for a great workout or we can use the equipment that you have.
Schedule a free consultation today and see how we can help you achieve your fitness goals.
Mini Family & Pet Photo Sessions
Beat the rush and sign up to get your holiday photos now!
Bring your kids! Bring your dogs!
Check out the DeSilva Studios website. Look at the images and see if you like them